Sunday, June 15, 2008

Working with Underglazes

I use underglazes to create the colorful matte finish on my sculptures. I DO enjoy working with COLOR. The underglazes are fun because while i am applying them, they look pretty close to the color they will be after being fired in the kiln. It's possible to see and work with the relationships of the colors; like painting with watercolors.





First, I fire the clay, bisque firing. Red clay looks like this after the first firing....
Ready for underglaze. I paint them on with brushes, my fingers, wires, a variety of tools. I use lots of water to create a kind of wash blending the colors. I start with a base color and begin to see where harmonizing colors want to go. Sometimes i use two or three colors only. Usually i use LOTs of colors. I get a little carried away...I have about 40 to choose from which i have arranged in ice cube trays. One tray for blue, one for reds and yellows, etc. If I get something i don't like, i just wash it off and go again. when it's finished the piece goes into the kiln for the second firing where the colors become permanently fired onto the clay.

No comments: